Saturday

Listening to 80s music, I realize that the 80s may have been a Romantic sort of era, almost in a Byronesque classicism sort of way. I was listening to Corey Hart's "Never Surrender" and wondering idly what my son would think of it, and realizing that his music is harder, harsher, less idealistic and romantic.


My brothers and Capt A and his brother grew up on this 80s theme and consider themselves heroes. When I think of my brother, whom I fondly term 'Terminator', I think of 'Eye of the Tiger'; for my brother the 'Transporter', I can't remember now, but it's something less blatantly heroic and more understated, no less romantic. And.. for some reason.. I think of "Don't Pay The Ferryman" for both of them....

I don't know if there's a song for me that my brothers would have thought of; I know that I have songs for everyone I know. My eldest and her daughter remind me of a song (I won't say it here, because it's their names!) But prior to that, my eldest was "Sister Golden Haired Surprise". My son is "Daniel's Song" and my youngest has two: "Isn't She Lovely?" and one by Savage Garden: "To The Moon & Back" (if you knew the sorrow that was my baby daughter's life, you'd understand).

My eldest thinks of me when she hears the Buggles' song "Elstree". One album, great music - it's the album that "Video Killed The Radio Star" came from. For me, the songs I identified with the most were by Alphaville, Buggles, Kim Wilde; soundtracks were Fame and Streets of Fire.

Right now, I have Ganesha Sharanam by Jai Uttal in my head. New position at work, fulltime. When that one is not playing in my head, my baby daughter's song is ringing; I hope she's okay.

No comments: